January 31, 2014

The Orphaned

Imagine you are a child living in a remote village in Africa, Asia or South America. Now imagine that by the age of 4 or 5 you have already lost both of your parents to illness. Your parent’s friends and neighbors hold you, a child, responsible for your parent’s death. They call you a sorcerer, evil and no longer want you around.  Now newly orphaned, grieving, malnourished, sick, scared and uncertain of the future you are kicked out of the village. You are shipped off to the city and when you arrive you’re flooded with new sites, smells, tastes and surroundings. You are told that you will now live with distant relatives that you really don’t know who have agreed to take you in.  

Unfortunately, this is a real scenario for many children. This is the story of one of my little friends here in Abidjan.  I met him just shortly after he arrived to the city. This precious little boy was so scared and so traumatized it was a concern to many. Through patience, prayers, love and support he has slowly started to feel safe and secure. His family with the local community of believers has made a big difference in this child’s life and he in theirs. Now today about six months later, I receive his hugs and have the joy of hearing him laugh and smile as he plays with the other children.

We are not to be just hearers of the Truth but doers. A life that proclaims Truth and puts it into practice will be marked by love for others and reverence before a Holy God.  I am grateful for the obedience of this family and thankful to get to see the Lord provide for the needs and healing for this little boy. James 1:22-27.

I get excited every time I see God’s people take care of those in need.  I just want to say to the family and friends here in Abidjan, back home and around the world “Thank You” for opening your hearts and homes. Through you we get a glimpse of just how much our Heavenly Father loves us and has adopted us as Sons and Daughters through His son Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment