Since I was little I have said that I wanted to go cage diving with Great White Sharks. People have looked at me weird and told me I was crazy but the dream went on. This May that dream came true in Gansbaai, South Africa.
Originally months before the trip to the Cape, I had booked my day with the Sharks with a boat out of Simmons Town. Simmons Town is a cute little town right on the coast, it's close to downtown Cape Town and minutes away from Boulders Beach home of the African Penguin. Right off the Shore is Seal Island a popular hunting ground for Great Whites. I was bummed to get the call that the trip was called due to rough seas and an odd disappearance of the Great White population around the Island.
Day after day it began to look like the dream to cage dive with a Great White was just not going to happen this trip to South Africa. With a lot of effort and persistence of a dear friend the trip was back on 2 hours up the shore in Gansbaai. Our trip was now schedule the day before we needed to fly out. It was now or never (at least for this vacation). The drive up and back was beautiful and so worth the drive.
We had a amazing time out in Shark Alley. There was 8 different Great Whites that came by the Cage to say Hello. They were so close that if i was really crazy I could have stuck my hand out of the cage and touched one. I can now say I have been eye to eye with a Great White. These pictures will not even began to explain how cool this was. So much fun, A dream come true. So worth it. Would do it again in a heart beat.

The next bucket list item now will be Swim with Whale Sharks. I hear they pass by my way in West Africa but maybe I need to start looking into a trip to Madagascar.




No comments:
Post a Comment