While I have big buildings and four lane highways around me it
is unlike any city I have every lived in. Things I took for granted in America
are hard to find here. I was excited when I found a case of Dr. Pepper. This
one store sometimes gets things in from Florida or Vancouver so it’s a treat
when you find something from home.
Someone wanted to know what type of fast food I have here in
Abidjan. Well the closest thing to fast food is buying roasted field corn,
fried plantains or fried whole fish (fufu) from street venders or ordering a
Falafel or Shawarma from the Lebanese man down the street. I do have some family owned restaurants in my
area where I can get fried chicken, hamburgers, pizza and Vietnamese food if I
want it. Sadly no Mexican…well there was one place but it is not really Mexican
and WAY overpriced.
I am learning to adjust to not having everything I want at
my fingertips right away. I now wash my zip lock bags and use them over and
over again. When I finish anything that came in a container (example: Mayonnaise)
the container is washed and put away for me to reuse. I have to make my own
pickles, chocolate syrup, salad dressing, pretzels and granola, basically almost
everything is made from scratch. I cut
my facial wipes into halves to make them last longer. I keep clean water in
jugs in the bathroom and kitchen. Getting new clothes is a process, you have to
find and pick out fabric, pick an outfit style you like from a bunch of pictures
and then find someone who can make it.
While things might take longer to do here in Abidjan it has
it benefits. Along the way you establish relationships with neighbors and
people throughout the city. I am looking forward to learning about the city and
its culture on an even deeper level next week as I spend a work week with an
Ivorian family.
Would you pronounce Abidjan that way it sounds? I love the idea of "having" to get to know people because there are no fast paced places in which to purchase! What an awesome way to become established in your community! Got your pic on the fridge and keep prayer thoughts for you! Lyvonda
ReplyDeleteHey Lyvonda,
ReplyDeleteWhen pronouncing Abidjan the d is silent and the j is soft. And Yes it is a nice way to meet people and establish yourself in the community. I now have a vegetable lady, a baker and a small grocery store with people who know who I am. Thanks for keeping me in your prayers!