Since arriving I have experienced and am learning the taxi system of Abidjan. There are multiple colored Taxi’s (blue, green, yellow and red) each are different types headed to different areas and all drive like they are trying to win the Daytona 500. I will eventually be driving the city myself but for now it’s good for me to observe and get familiar with the different zones and districts before I join the wild game of dodge people, cars, bikes and random animals. There is organization to the chaos and I am starting to pick up on it.
For example my mentor will say “The chicken is on the bed” at that point I would find the chicken in the mix of toys and place it on the bed. She might say “The boy drinks the water” then I would take the boy doll and have him drink water. I have been told I am doing great picking it up, I even passed a pop quiz in the home of a National Pastor this week.
So far I have been introduced to an area of Abidjan. I
attended services on Sunday. It was of course in French so the only bit I
understood was what my teammates translated.
Even though the service was in a different language I enjoyed it and was
shocked that it was only 2 1/2 hours long. I’ve been in services in Africa that
have gone 4 hour regularly.
| Church in Abidjan |
Later in the week I went back to that same area and joined
in with the woman’s Soccer game. We
prayed, played, laughed, sang, dance to the beat of the drum, then played and
prayed some more before heading home. It was a fun and I look forward to doing
it again in the upcoming weeks. I also
really look forward to being able to say more than just a greeting and few
broken words to these women.
I am thankful for God’s provision on getting me to where I am
today, for the team He has placed around, their willingness to help me adjust
to Africa and even for the cooler weather to acclimate in. The last two weeks
have been full of new things. Drinking OJ from a plastic bag, getting a taxi
all by myself, cooking multiple meals from scratch, learning over 150 words in
a week, etc.. There is still much more
first to come!
| Neighborhood Street After the Rain |
No comments:
Post a Comment