July 29, 2014

A Visit to Dakar



African Renaissance Monument

I recently spent two weeks of July over in Dakar, Senegal for Medical. It’s weird to get on a plane to go see a Doctor.  While waiting for test results and stitches to heal I got to get out a bit and see Dakar. Dakar is the western most point on mainland Africa and full of History.
  
                                                              Presidential Palace 

                                      At  the Western most point in Africa. Closest to USA you can get.  

                                                 Sand Artist. They use different Couleur sand from all over Africa


While there I went out with one of the locals to visit downtown Dakar, a few markets and then over to Gorée Island.  Gorée has this cute little community that lives on the Island that is full of dark history. Maison des Esclaves (House of Slaves) which once was used in the Atlantic Slave Trade has now become a museum that you can visit.

Gorée Island
 Maison des Esclaves


Door of No Return
Pirogues (Fishing boats) off the coast
     
       


                                       The Streets on Gorée Island


Before I left the Island I was invited to share a meal with one of the Local families. As we sat around the bowl eating one of my favorite African dishes Ceebu Jën  I could not help but be reminded how blessed I am to be living and working among these amazing people here in West Africa.

                                                                      Ceebu Jën

No comments:

Post a Comment