October 28, 2013

Let the Heat Begin

I loved receiving this care package
The month of October has flown by and I feel like it just started. This has been the month of many firsts! I received two awesome care packages brought by teams that came to visit! Thank you to those who sent goodies and to those who delivered it to me. It was so much fun opening it up. I found tons of awesome things both wanted and needed (ok wanted). 

This month I got to experience for the first time in West Africa sitting under a tree sharing stories as 13 people made Attiéké and listened to the story. I had the help of a translator of course but I am hoping that this time next year the stories will just flow out of my mouth in French.

This month I also have been given the opportunity to help out with children’s church at a local Church.  A friend tells the story while I help control anywhere from 40-80 children. It’s a lot of work and we are exhausted by the time is over, but it’s a good exhausted.
Helping with Children's Church
 I tried new foods this month… Really Big Snails, rabbit and porcupine. I got to go shopping in Adjame for new clothing. Adjame is a very busy African market if you can brave the crowd you can find some good deals on clothing and food.  
Adjame- picture from online not brave enough to take my own camera.

One of my new dresses
Yesterday I went to Prison. Yes you read that right. I went to visit the women and youth that are in one of the prisons here in Abidjan. The prisons here are set up different than the ones I have visited in the states.  Still it is definitely not a place you would like to be. We were able to give each woman and youth a care package with things like powdered milk, flour, pasta, soap, toothbrush/paste.  They seemed very grateful to receive it, many opened up the milk right away!   

I was hoping to tell you that this month I received my crate but it is sitting at customs awaiting approval to pick it up. So this month I got to experience the frustration of people looking for bribes which led to a bit of culture shock. Haahaha I’m hopeful that this will be resolved soon and I can enjoying rediscovering what I put in my crate!
Well that’s the cliff notes of October happenings. Hope you had a great October too. To those who are having a pretty fall I am jealous, things are just starting to heat up here.  

         

No comments:

Post a Comment