March 12, 2013

I survived Being Snowed In!

Last week on campus we got the most snow that I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I woke up on Wednesday morning to a good bit of snow on the ground and it was still coming down pretty good.   I was thankful for the day off and made the most of it. I played outside half the day with the children on the campus, pushing sleds, making snowmen and women, and partook in a few really good snowball fights. The other half of the day was dedicated to catching up on reading and studying.
 

 

By Saturday all the snow had melted and we had a beautiful day to head into Washington DC. We had a great trip and were able to observe a few Africans who were visiting and working in the DC area. We met a Nigerian family that was showing the maternal grandmother the sights of DC.   We meet quite a few Ethiopians working in the city.

 This week is going into my 8 th week on campus, time has flown by. I am looking forward to this week as the Sub-Saharan team will get to spend some good quality time with multiple people who have previously or are currently working in Sub-Saharan Africa. We will end Friday with the last of our shot days. I think I only have 3 more shots to go!!  

Our group has been learning how to cook a few meals from scratch.  We have learned how to make soups, pizza and brownies from scratch.  This week one of our tasks is to go without electricity for the day.   This will be for all of us a very practical learning task since we will often be living with frequent power outages and brown outs. In fact I just Skyped with a supervisor  yesterday who had to travel to a different location because the power at their home had been out for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment